Monday, December 13, 2010

PBJ-ingerbread Man... And Zojirushi!


A's lunch today was a hodge podge - seems those are my favorite style since I make them most often!  She enjoyed it though, and I was happy to be able to include so much fresh produce - I made it to the commissary on time!

Marshmall-snow man, pink chocolate star, apples, mikan, and pineapple jelly

Went out last night without the kids to take care of some Santa business and while I was perusing, I discovered that they put my long-coveted Zojirushi rice cooker on sale for $20 off the normal price.  I got some birthday money from a couple of family members so I indulged.  I am SO excited!  I made my very first batch of rice in it this afternoon and I've got to tell you, the texture of this rice is amazing!  It's like infinitely better than any white rice I've ever made on the stove top.  For dinner, we're having rice.  (Ok, and pork tenderloin.)  For dessert, I am going to have rice with milk and sugar.  Mwahahaha.

3 comments:

  1. I think that they are adorable! I even showed Pat when I saw it on FB. He doesn't eat pb&j but I sure do! I know what I will be having for lunch tomorrow. Ha. I wanted a rice cooker for Christmas but I don't have the room for one. I always either end up burning the rice to the pan no matter how many times I stir, and no matter what I always have to add more water than is recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristin - what brand of rice are you using? Try Nishiki. I have found it to be the easiest and best rice I've made. The directions on the bag are spot on. I simmer it covered (no peeking) for 12-15 minutes and then turn off the burner and let it sit another 10 minutes. If you peek, you will end up with gummy rice. The rice-water ratio is also different for Nishiki than for other brands. It's 1 1/2 cups rice to 2 cups water. But after your next move, if you have the space I definitely recommend a rice cooker! Zojirushi! I had registered for a way cheaper one for our wedding (it was like $30 or so) and someone got it for us. It was AWFUL! It burned my rice every time and I was totally not impressed. I threw it out after a couple of attempts. I am so pleased with the Zojirushi, though. I can't sing it's praises enough! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so cute!! I have added it to my bentos that inspire me folder!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...