Friday, July 22, 2011

Book Review: The Gun Seller

Book 17/25 in the 2011 Reading Challenge.  Date completed: July 21, 2011.

I don't have a whole lot to say about The Gun Seller, unfortunately.  I really really really wanted to love it, simply because I am crazy about Hugh Laurie, but I just didn't.  It took me over a month to wade through it, which is a pretty long time for me.  I don't know why, other than that it just wasn't really my forté.  It's a [really long] story about a British man named Thomas Lang who finds himself in the middle of a very complex conspiracy dealing with terrorism and large weaponry.

For me, The Gun Seller was about 100 pages too long.  Like I said, it wasn't a BAD book, it just wasn't my thing.  Most disappointing for me was that I wanted so badly to enjoy it and then I just couldn't get engrossed in it like I'd expected to.  The things I enjoyed the most about this book were the decidedly "British" spellings ("favour" as opposed to "favor", "theatre" instead of "theater", etc.) and lingo ("bloke" instead of "guy", etc) and above all, I enjoyed reading it and picturing Hugh Laurie himself as Thomas Lang - I don't mean that in any sort of creepy way - he's no Johnny Depp - but Hugh Laurie is awesome.  I love that he has a British accent underneath his perfect Gregory House "American" accent - and Thomas Lang had the same gift.  I literally found myself confused when Thomas Lang was referred to by his name (or by one of his aliases) because I was constantly envisioning him as "Hugh".

If I'm being honest, I bought this book from the Reader Store literally within minutes of discovering it existed.  So I had no idea what I was getting myself into.  If I'd looked past the author's name to the summary, reviews, or sheesh - even the cover picture or title of the book - I'd probably have known it wasn't going to be a favorite of mine, and then I'd have potentially saved myself a whole month's worth of [very slow] reading.  Although, maybe not - I didn't think I'd enjoy The Hunger Games, either.  (By the way, my husband finally made it through the whole trilogy and is every bit as obsessed as I am.  Pretty sure this means that we're total nerds.)

Anyways, I gave this book a two-star rating on GoodReads.  And I feel guilty about it because I still love Hugh Laurie.  And I'd probably even read it if he wrote another book.  Because he is pretty much the coolest guy ever.  And I dare you to argue against me on that.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...