Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Book Review: Look Again

Book 10/25 in the 2011 Reading Challenge.  Completed April 2, 2011.

This was my first Lisa Scottoline book, and it came recommended from a friend who had just started reading it herself.  She said it picked up right away and held her interest.  I had just finished reading The Hunger Games trilogy so I was definitely eager to start in on a new read.  She was right, of course.  Look Again caught my attention from the start.  The story of a newspaper reporter and single mother named Ellen Gleeson who notices a "Missing Child" card in her mail with a photo of a boy who looks remarkably like her own three year old son, Will.  Ellen had adopted Will at age one when she was writing a series on hospitalized children.

This little bit of "junk mail" turns Ellen's life upside down as she tries and tries to prove to herself that her Will is not in fact Timothy Braverman.  On top of her personal quest to validate her happy little family's existence, Ellen faces professional struggles as the newspaper she works for seeks to cut back on employees, and romantic endeavors between her and Marcelo, her editor.

Look Again hit the ground running and I enjoyed it quite a bit.  It did lose some momentum and got a touch predictable in places, but it wasn't annoying.  Lisa Scottoline managed to keep things interesting with this story up till the end.  It was a bit "fairy tale" at the end, but again not too annoying.  I gave it a Goodreads rating of three stars, but if I could have, I'd have given it three and a half.  I was never one for action-packed books in the past, but I am finding myself really enjoying them lately.  I finished this one before the friend that recommended it (I have a lot of free time...  hehehe), and then another friend said she was a big Lisa Scottoline fan and suggested another of her books to me, so I'll have to try that one out soon too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...