Friday, March 11, 2011

Book Review: Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder

Book 6/25 in the 2011 Reading Challenge.  Date completed: March 11, 2011.

This book was really fun. I enjoyed it a lot - more than I actually expected to.  I don't know what it is with me going into murder mystery books with such low expectations these days but I'm not opposed to being pleasantly surprised.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder, though, should have been a shoo-in for me. Being an avid reader AND a moderately obsessed foodie just about guaranteed that I'd enjoy the murder mystery (which I didn't think was too dull or predictable), and also the cookie recipes peppered in between the chapters - which I can't wait to try out and report on, by the way.

Hannah Swenson is a very normal girl - nothing exceptional about her aside from her baking skills. She's single and lives in a condo in a little town in Minnesota with her freeloading tabby cat, Moishe. She runs a cookie shop that is a local sensation, and she has a brother-in-law who is a police officer. Hannah winds up in the middle of a murder investigation that takes several turns - very few of which I was able to predict. The book is filled with a lot of characters and some unnecessary details and occasionally I had a hard time keeping up with the who's-who, but for the most part that didn't really bother me a whole lot - it didn't really distract from the story line.  By the end of the book I was literally on the edge of my seat and had to tell M to put the kids in their jammies for me so that I could have fifteen minutes of peace to finish it up.  It was very unexpected!  And thanks to a hefty preview at the end of my edition of the book, there were a LOT of pages left, so I was quite surprised that the book was ending when it was.

I thought this was a good read and I'm definitely interested in the other (11?) Hannah Swenson books.  Will keep you posted on the recipes that I feel like I've swiped straight from my favorite bakery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...